I survived!
Today was Professor Kirk's famed 'Wall Walk' and it was a very long day- We met at AUR at 10am and we didn't return to our apartment till 6:30pm!! We walked a total of 21 kilometers (13.4 miles) around the ancient wall of the city of Rome. 95% of it is still existing and as been added to, repaired and updated throughout the centuries past. Everything was very interesting and we saw so many things that we would not have ventured on our own to see.
There was a total group of about 25-30 who completed the entire walk. This made crossing streets very interesting! We stopped for lunch and my roomates and I decided to go to SMA (the grocery store) to get things for lunch: we got bread, fresh mozzerella, fruit, juice and some deli meat..yum yum! Our meal definetly gave us more energy as we continued the walk.
One of the best things about Rome are their fountains...they are public fountains which continually spew water- and it's very good water so it's really easy to fill up water bottles- yea! Actually the water source for all of the fountains is mainly from the paths of the ancient aquaducts (there are just new pipes!)
Throughout our enire walk we saw, as I said before, parts of the city that I would have never seen on my own, and then parts that we have already seen. We actually walked through the Piazza in front of St. Peter's again today! So I was sooo glad that we went yesterday to experience it for the first time at our own pace...which for architects...is much slower than the average person.
Well it was a busy and tiring day. I am quite sore, I got some sunburn and as well as sweet blister on my ankle...So I am definetly ready for a good nights sleep!
Classes start tommorrow and I have 'Roman Imperial Art and Architecture' and 'Photography.' So I will start to try to develop a routine...like figure out when and where to eat, when I have time to buy food at the market for dinner, what to do after classes, etc.
Bueno notte!
Sunday, September 7, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Wow, Kristin - that's quite a day...13.4 miles...maybe all those bike rides we did this summer helped you?! Dad
Did you use sun screen? How bad did you get burned?
And what is with Dora??
Have a great first day of classes.
Love Mom
I've walked that wall!!! So many fond memories. Praying for you. God bless!
-T.J.
Post a Comment