Wednesday, September 17, 2008

snap peas, strawberries, St. Peter's & a spoon

Today was a nice day. The weather has cooled down so much here- which I love. It was sooo disgusting when we first got here- so I'm thankful that it's starting to turn to fall weather.

After class this morning I went the to the produce market (the one closest to my apartment, on my street). Well first I had quite the experience trying to pay today...because I realized i didn't have any money on me! I had already picked out everything- and the guy weighed it and rang everything up. oops! I tried to explain through more or less charades (italians talk with their hands anyway!) that I was going to go, run back to my apartment, get some money and come back. So I pushed bag back towards him, showed him empty wallet and pointed down the street. He insisted that I leave and come back with the money, and so I left after he "blew me a kiss" ha! So I just ran home, and ran back...it was crazy...but because I go there all the time they knew who I was...and trusted me with leaving without paying.

Anyways I made two produce purchases that i was really excited about...snap peas and strawberries. The snap peas are, no lie, a foot long! They are sooo good! And they had the freshest looking strawberries ever. I enjoyed those after my lunch with a lil' nutella on the side! sooo good! They were so juicy though and my hands and face were red afterwards...I felt like I was six again and on the farm! But I really think that they were the best berries I've had since Strawberry Hill days :) I am getting so spoiled on fresh produce...

I went over to the Vatican area this afternoon, because I had to pick up the film I dropped off on Monday for my photography. So after I picked that up and I decided to do my drawing homework and some reading in the piazza in front of St. Peter's. I was there for a couple hours- it was so nice!

Oh and I bought my first spoon today...it's of 'le colesseo' and it's pretty!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

yummy- i want fresh strawberries! those sound so good! and of course you got a spoon : ) how many are you planning to buy?

Anonymous said...

I at first thought you were going to say you ran out of money! Whew!!!
How embarassing - Did he actually let you take the produce with you?
Are their strawberries in season or are they shipped?
They sound delicious - will there be any when we come?

tjgehman said...

Wait...How does the spoon work into this?

Kristin Rhodes said...

I collect spoons, silly