Thursday, November 13, 2008

Re-adjusting to Roman Life

So yes, I am back in Rome, sorry for not updating sooner! Our flight went well from Brussels to Rome even with a slight change of course. As we were approaching Rome the pilot announced that the airport we were going to fly into just closed down and that we had to go to the other Rome airport. This was great news for Sarah and I because it made it SO much easier for us to get home. The one we we're supposed to fly into doesn't have any public transportation whereas this one is connected to the train system! So we ended up getting home an hour before we thought we would ;) It was a great feeling landing in the same airport we arrived in two months earlier, but this time knowing how to get around by ourselves and how to get back to our apartment!

We were actually really excited to come home though and be able to sleep in our own beds and have our own bathroom and kitchen. Staying in hostels is fun experience but I can only take living out of a suitcase and shared living conditions for so long!

Also even though it was nice to be able to come back to Rome, to our new home, and feel comfortable here...this trip also made me miss home home more. I didn't expect that to happen...maybe it was because the countries were visited were more westernized which made them feel more like the States or maybe it was just the sense of always being an outsider. Also in most of the places we went they had 'normal' fall weather unlike Rome's 'pseudo-fall' weather. This little 'taste' of falling leaves, being bundled up and walking around with a coffee definitely contributed to me missing my favorite season back home! I am not completely homesick but I do miss the lil' things as well as people...friends and fam. I really do feel though, that I will be ready to return in 5 weeks.

Also my parents are in Italy right now! They are in Florence today but will be coming to Rome tomorrow. I'm excited to be able to show them around and give them a more 'insiders' view on Rome. We'll see how them being here for 3 days and then leaving will affect me- if it will make me miss home more or less :)

They are supposed to arrive tomorrow morning sometime but I have not heard from them yet! I think that my mom only has my cell phone number but my cell is out of minutes right now and I need to buy more. So hopefully I can do that so I will be able to find them tomorrow! Ha- this could be interesting!

Well right now I am going to go and brave the rainy, gross weather to go to Sarah and Lindsay's 'football' game! The AUR Shewolves...sounds fierce huh?

Oh and please check out my pictures from fall break on Facebook...I have 3 out of 5 cities up right now- so enjoy!

No comments: